Blue 5 Mrs Rodgers
Welcome to our class page. Please use the links to find out what we will be studying during this year's study topics. As the term progresses we will also add photos of the pupils work.
Things to know
- PE lessons are on Wednesday and Friday. Please ensure you child wears the new PE kit in all the PE lessons. This includes appropriate footwear and black tracksuit bottoms/shorts.
- Children will be given their homework book on a Friday and are expected to return it by the following Thursday. Homework choices can be found in the topic pages.
- Reading diaries are provided and we request that parents and pupils work together to keep a log of reading at home. Children need to be reading as regularly as possible.
- Children should also complete quizzes on My On or Accelerated Reader after finishing a book.
- Each child is regularly tested on their comprehension skills and is then allocated a number band to choose from.
- Please provide your child with a water bottle each day. They can also bring a healthy snack to eat at breaktimes.
- We encourage weekly spelling and times table practice at home to support assessments.
- Leading up to SATS's (Year 6) there will be more of a focus on key skills and homework will SAT style Maths, GPS questions. UKS2 spellings and reading comprehension.
During the first half of the Autumn term we will consider and explore the magical fantasy world of Harry Potter. Classwork will include writing film reviews, poetry and narratives in English. In Math's we will explore place value up to 1,000,000 and in Science will explore properties of materials.
The wider curriculum work will include sketching portraits, playing Pop Lacrosse and Orienteering in PE, studying maps and directions in Geography and many others exciting things.
During the second & third half terms we will be venturing through a portal to the past where our learning will centre around many aspects of WWII and involve a visit to Kelham Island Museum dressed as evacuees to take part in several workshops which will explore evacuation, the fire pump drill, being inside an Anderson Shelter, cracking Morse code messages and lots more.
English & Maths Support materials Year 6
- Top tips for reading paper (powerpoint presentation).
- Daily grammar flipchart (powerpoint presentation).
- Maths school booklet (publisher document).