At Sparken Hill Academy, we believe the basic skills of mathematics are vital for the future life opportunities of our children. Our aim is for all children to think mathematically, enabling them to execute basic skills fluently, reason critically and solve problems confidently. In order to do this, we access a range of resources, planning and activities to give children a broad maths curriculum.
At Sparken Hill Academy we believe that mathematics is a tool for everyday life. Sound mathematical teaching provides children with the ability to make sense of their world. It is used to analyse and communicate information and ideas and to attempt a range of practical tasks and real life problems.
The National Curriculum states:
‘A high-quality mathematics education provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.’
It is our aim to develop:
- a positive attitude towards mathematics and an awareness of the fascination of mathematics
- competence, confidence and fluency in mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills
- an ability to solve problems, to reason, to think logically and to work systematically and accurately.
- initiative and an ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others
- an ability to communicate mathematics
- an ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life situations
- an understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry and experiment