Upper Key Stage 2
Welcome to our UKS2 page. We have lots of information about the work we are doing this year. There are also some great videos to help children with their learning. Why not have a look at them with an adult at home, so you can share your work at school with them
Check out our curriculum page to see what fantastic activities we have planned.
Do you have any ideas for this page? Why not let your teacher know!
Have you seen the Kids' Zone? Play games, and visit some cool websites.
Look out for all the activities that we have planned this term.
Do you fancy...
- A trip to Cinema
- Residential visit for Y6 to Caythorpe Court
- Workshops at The Harley Gallery
- A trip to Murton Park for a Viking Day
Year 6 SATS
This year the SATS are during the week beginning Monday 13th May 2019.
We are really pleased with the effort that the children have put into all their revision this year and every member of the Sparken Hill Team wishes them ‘Good Luck’ for that week.
As in previous years, we will also be holding a free breakfast club for Year 6 on Monday to Thursday of that week. Breakfast will be served from 8:30am in the hall. This is a fantastic opportunity for the children to have a hearty breakfast before the SATS that day and relax, calm and mentally prepare for the tests.
At Sparken Hill Academy we aim to provide a structured and planned transition in order to ease pupils through what can be a worrying phase of their lives. A successful transition is an important first step in helping your child to achieve their full potential.
Aims of Transition from Primary to Secondary
- To make sure each child is happy when they move from Sparken Hill Academy to their chosen secondary school.
- To support the parents in preparing for the move from Sparken Hill to secondary school.
- To encourage each child to become more independent.
- To ensure that any relevant information from our academy or outside agencies is acknowledged and acted upon.
- To ensure smooth academic transition from Year 6 to Year 7.
- Various visits to Outwood Academy Portland / Valley to participate in lessons and other activities
- Invitation to watch Outwood Portland productions
- Participate in an annual Astronomy event at Portland
- Open days at Portland and Valley for parents and pupils
- Outwood Academy representation at Sparken Hill Academy Open evenings
- Open Evening – parents have a chance to tour school with their child. There is an opportunity to meet with staff
- Individual tours of school can be arranged with the Year Co-ordinator
- Deadline for submission of secondary school transfer forms
- LA will inform whether a place has been given
- Welcome letter and information sent out
- Year 7 Co-ordinator to visit all pupils in their primary school to introduce herself to them
- Transition Days. Pupils will come into school for three days at Valley / Portland to sample “life at Secondary.” This is to ensure their first day is less daunting. New Intake Evening. Parents and child to attend. Parents will be invited to listen to our senior staff whilst the pupils meet their new form tutors and members of their form
What else happens during Transition to Secondary for Year 6 pupils?
- Access to Year 7 Co-ordinator, a non-teaching member of staff with vast experience in dealing with transition.
- Transition Coordinator – meet the Y6 student days at Sparken Hill Academy
- Personalised transition forms are completed for every child and passed onto the Secondary placement school
- Staff from Portland – Masterclasses in primaries.
- Visits/tours available on request.
- Extra transition visits for pupils on request by school or parents
- Bespoke transition packages organised by school – especially for ‘vulnerable’ students.
- Literacy and numeracy intervention for identified pupils.
What makes a successful transition?
- Developing new friendships and improving their self-esteem and confidence.
- Having settle so well into school life that they cause no concerns to their parents.
- Showing an increased interest in school and school work.
- Getting used to their new routines and school organisation with great ease.
- Experiencing curriculum continuity.
Help, Games & Information